我成长并主要生活在南方，’d never heard of 狐尾 草 until I moved to the Pacific Northwest because it’主要在美国西部流行。
狐尾草– WHAT IS IT??
狐尾s are 草es with seed awns that are extremely dangerous to dogs. 狐尾 awns are barbed, razor-sharp needles, designed to burrow into the ground with the seed.
The sharp needles 上 the seed heads of the 狐尾 plant can also work their way into any part of your dog, from the nose to between the toes and inside the ears, eyes, and mouth. They can even simply dig themselves directly into a patch of skin.
At this time of year, 狐尾s in Washington have green, lush heads that resemble a finer version of wheat or barley. But the moment the plants start to dry in the summer the heads start to fall apart, and 每一颗带刺的种子都会对任何靠近它的狗构成威胁。
此外，因为种子不’不要在狗里面摔倒’s body, 它们可能会造成重大损坏。
根据 WebMD.com， “Embedded 狐尾s can cause discharge, abscesses, swelling, pain, and death.”
If your dog is displaying any of the following symptoms, check for 狐尾s or talk to your vet:
• 狐尾s often lodge in dogs’脚，很容易嵌入脚趾之间。 Check for 狐尾s if you notice swelling or limping or if your dog is constantly licking the area.
• 如果您的狗摇头，向侧面倾斜或不停地抓挠耳朵， it could be the sign of a 狐尾 —可能在耳道内很深的一个’t see it. 您r veterinarian needs to take a look in the ear using a special scope.
• 发红，排出，肿胀，斜眼和爪子 could be signs your dog has a 狐尾 lodged in its eye. If you think this may be the case, seek veterinary care immediately.
• 如果您发现鼻子有分泌物，或者您的狗频繁且剧烈地打喷嚏， a 狐尾 could be lodged in a nasal passage.
• 狐尾s can find their way into your dog’s penis or vagina. If you notice your dog persistently licking at its genitals, 狐尾s could be the cause.
• 狐尾s can also lodge under a dog’s skin, 导致可见的肿胀和/或脓液排出。
Preventing 狐尾s from embedding themselves in your dog is critically important. WebMD notes that “once a 狐尾 has penetrated the skin and entered into muscular tissue or organs, removing it almost always requires an anesthetic and surgical procedure 通过 a veterinarian.
By following these tips you can significantly reduce the chances that your dog will suffer from health complications caused 通过 狐尾s:
• Do not ever let your dog anywhere near 狐尾s. 您’ll find them almost anywhere: along roadsides, in fields, around telephone poles, and in sidewalk plantings. In fact, I saw several patches of 狐尾s while walking my dogs in Seattle.
• 让它们远离您的狗’的院子和围栏。 摆脱它们的最好方法是将它们拔出。我建议不要割草，因为您可以在院子里吹种子。
• 养狗’的外套干净整洁。 这将有助于减少种子积聚并简化日常检查。
• Inspect your dog daily for 头发 mats (where 草 awns like to hide) and between toes. Clipping the 头发 between paw pads will reduce potential for picking up the seeds.
•每当您的狗过度打喷嚏，流口水，摇头，抓挠耳朵，抱怨，舔爪子或身体其他部位时， 由兽医检查 尽快防止进一步的损坏。
• For dogs out frequently in areas with 狐尾s, 考虑商业产品， 如那个 OutFox®现场防护 to keep 草 awns away from eyes, nose, mouth and ears.
• Most importantly, be vigilant about watching for 狐尾s whenever you’和你的狗一起出去。 I’ve seen several patches of 狐尾s in my neighborhood. Yesterday I found a small patch of them 上 my street about 30 yards from my house.
If your dog shows any of the symptoms associate with the health problems 狐尾s can cause, take it to a vet immediately.
这里 are some pictures I took of 狐尾s in found in my neighborhood. They should give you an idea what to watch for when you walk your dog around Seattle.